Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Midweek Food Musings: Citrus-Rosemary Chicken Cutlets

When I made this on Sunday, it was a part experiment, part I'm-in-the-mood-to-have-this kind of thing.
I was craving chicken, but didn't want to roast whole ones. I had bought some fresh bread crumbs earlier in the week (was thinking of fried zucchini, actually), but hadn't done anything with them yet. Also, I  have luscious fresh rosemary in my garden, and a bunch of oranges (love fresh oranges--in case you haven't noticed). And so, after buying boneless chicken thighs and breasts, I decided to put it all together. The results? Accolades from all! (In fact, I think this one was a bigger hit than the Gallo Pinto that I thought would be star!)



Serves 12 to 15

5 eggs
About 1 pound fresh bread crumbs (bought a 15-ounce bag of homemade crumbs from my local DeCicco's bakery; they were perfect!)
4 packages (about 6 pieces in each) assorted chicken pieces (I used boneless breasts and thighs)
6 sprigs rosemary, leaves coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil for frying
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice from about 8 oranges
White wine


In flat but deep dish (I love using pie dishes for this!) combine the eggs. Set a second one aside for the bread crumbs. Add about 1 tablespoon of chopped rosemary. Add salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove any additional fat or sinewy pieces on the chicken. Heat the canola in a sauté pan (or two, as pictured above!) and add the garlic. Meanwhile, dip the chicken pieces in the egg, and then coat them in the bread crumbs. Once the oil is hot, you can start the frying process.

Brown the chicken over medium-high heat, in batches, until both sides are golden (as shown above), about 10 minutes (you can finish the cooking in the oven, and though smaller ones may actually be cooked, the bigger pieces will take longer). Place the cooked chicken pieces in baking pans in single layers, but don't clean the sauté pans just yet!

Add the fresh orange juice to one/both of the pans, and stir over low heat. Add about 1/2 cup of wine (or more). Let the juice reduce for about 5 to 10 minutes; it should thicken slightly. Taste and season.  Pour the juice/wine mixture over the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve warm or at room temperature.








4 comments: