Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Midweek Food Musings: From Salmon Ceviche to Salmon Taco!

Ceviche and tacos de pescado (fish tacos) are two of my favorite things... so why not combine them?

Let me explain! Since I made salmon ceviche yesterday but, as sometimes happens, I couldn't finish all of it. What did I do? Well, since I also made mango salsa yesterday, and had  my favorite, locally-made corn tortillas on hand, and since I was craving something warm and toasty on the outside...smooth and tasty on the inside, I took the logical next step: I toasted my tortilla and made my ceviche into a taco filling! (Fabuloso...by the way!)

And this reminded me. I've written about leftover food before, but sometimes we all need a reminder. Leftovers can be so cleverly reinvented...and "new" the second time around. Adding fresh vegetables, herbs, and condiments in one form or another can make all the difference.

Several years ago, I had the privilege of working on a Katharine Hepburn project. One of her rules, as far as leftovers, was that they had to be reinvented (she was a very thrifty woman and didn't want to toss remaining food...but didn't want to be bored, either!). So, I guess you could say I like living the Katharine Hepburn credo!

This idea, recreating something in a different way, is a great way of not only not wasting food (which, unfortunately many of us do all too often) but also being creative. In fact, they present a kind of fun challenge.  In fact, right now I've got the following in my fridge: sliced pork chops, gallo pinto, mango salsa. I will be combining them for my parents' dinner tonight. I'll let you know how it goes...and would love to hear about your reinventions!

No comments:

Post a Comment