Monday, November 26, 2012

Sunday Dinners: Turkey Soup with a Twist

I feel like I've been doing a lot of confessing lately. Well, here I go again: I didn't make this for Sunday dinner. In fact, it was my brother Peter who took the helm this week (made ravioli with a sage butter sauce, grilled sausages, and roast eggplant with tomato sauce and capers--a standard our mom used to make) while I just made guacamole and salad with a cider vinaigrette, and brownies...

But what I have been doing--really--is recreating and trying my best to finish up the food in the fridge. I am happy to report that my mission so far has been quite successful!

So today I'm going to share my recipe for turkey soup. (Actually I made it yesterday, and subsequently froze most of it--since we're all a bit tired of turkey!) This soup is easily adaptable for cooked chicken--or to stand alone as a hearty vegetable soup!

I'm also going to share a picture of my dessert platter (served yesterday, for 16!). As you'll see, there are some pieces of pecan pie (from Thursday) as well as some "new" brownies--with and without roasted coconut on top--and all with pecans. I also included some pretty sprinkled cookies (popular with the kids in attendance!). My point here is that leftover desserts can be reinvented, too!


Turkey Soup with Cilantro-without Plantains! 
With Plantains (well, one visible!) 


Turkey Soup

Serves 6 to 8+

Canola oil
2 red onions, coarsely chopped
1 leek, sliced
1 bunch celery, coarsely chopped
White wine
1 bunch organic carrots, coarsely chopped
3 to 4 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
About 2 cups cooked turkey, cooked and torn (bones can be included!)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 ripe plantains, sliced (optional)
Cilantro

Heat about a tablespoon of canola oil in a stock pot. Add the onions, and leeks and stir. Add the celery  and stir. Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture starts to soften. Add a splash of white wine and let it absorb. Add the vegetable or chicken stock, and carrots. Let cook for about 15 minutes or until the carrots start to soften. Add the turkey and continue simmering. Add the sweet plantains as the soup is simmering and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, until the plantains are golden-ish and  cooked through. Serve in bowls, topped with cilantro.  

Dessert Platter of Brownies, Pecan Pie, and Pretty Sprinkle cookies! 


No comments:

Post a Comment