Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Midweek Food Musings: Roasted Butternut Squash

It's something I hadn't been reaching for lately, but on Sunday I was reminded of why I like butternut squash. Truth be told,  I've been seduced (another confession!) by packages of pre-peeled butternut squash in the past. But this weekend, Michi, my lovely guest and former student (from many moons ago!) was visiting from Japan, and was curious about the peach-colored, pear-shaped, pumpkin like vegetable she saw at the store, so I was inspired to make roasted butternut squash. I was also reminded of it's tasty flavors, and that yes, pre-packaged, though convenient, can't possibly yield the same fabulous flavors!


Today I'm sharing my real basic recipe for roasting, but I'd also like to mention that you can use your roasted squash in other ways (in fact, I've got a recipe for toasted butternut squash salad in Mambo Mixers). Actually, for lunch today, I'm going to prepare the salad (as shown below!) where I've placed it atop Boston lettuce, with roasted almonds and pecans. I'll top it with a bit of light balsamic vinaigrette--and voilà, my lunch is made!

I'm sure you'll find ways to enjoy this squash...and please do let me know!

Roasted Butternut Squash

Serves approximately 6 as a side dish

1 butternut squash, sliced lengthwise
Olive oil
Coarse salt
Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place butternut squash halves on a large baking sheet, flesh side up. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over each piece. Season with salt. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.  Roast the squash for about 35 minutes, or until flesh is fork-tender. Serve immediately, or reserve the squash for a future salad!


Boston Lettuce Topped with Chunks of Roasted butternut Squash  and Roasted Nuts (pre-vinaigrette!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment