Monday, December 3, 2012

Sunday Dinners: Zucchini Ribbons with Pistachio Pesto

Zucchini Ribbons with Pistachio Pesto 
Bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes are some of my favorite things.  And yes, I did write Dr. Manny's "Hot Latin Diet," but, my friends, I don't necessarily live by those rules. Still, this week--and now on day 7 of early-morning cross-training (boot camp!!!), I've been trying to pay attention to what kind of "fuel" I'm using. Thanks to the guidance of our fearless 6 am leader, Shawn, I'm increasing this awareness. So, he pointed out that I've got to move some of my foods around, lighten up on some--and basically fine tune my diet so ultimately I can reap the energy benefits, both physically and mentally, of the foods I eat.

And this brings me to the creation of today's post. Well, yesterday I decided I would try to make my Sunday dinner a bit lighter on the starch end. This is the menu I ended up with:

Salad with Roasted Cashews, Pomegranate Seeds, Clementine sections, Red-leaf Lettuce and a Light Balsamic/Citrus Vinaigrette
Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted Assorted Marble Potatoes with Rosemary
Roast Citrus-Ginger Chicken
Sliced Tomato with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil

AND--the dish I'll be writing about:
Zucchini Ribbons with Pistachio Pesto

Actually, I was inspired to make this last one also thanks to a conversation I heard when I was at work. You know I love pesto in its many incarnations, and though yes, I've put it on tomatoes and toast, I "forgot" about putting it on vegetables like zucchini. Now, you can make zucchini ribbons at home; all you need is a vegetable peeler. I cheated (?) with these: I found them at wonderful Hutchinson Farms on 22 in Eastchester (sorry...local, and also sorry because my friends, this is the expensive route for sure!). BUT now that I've tried 'em, I'll make them next time.

The result was great; all my guests loved them, and honestly, I don't think spaghetti was missed!

Zucchini Ribbons with Pistachio Pesto

Serves 10 to 12 as a side dish

olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
5-6  cups zucchini ribbons
White wine or water
1 cup (or more, according to taste), pistachio pesto

In a large-ish stockpot, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until they become fragrant, stirring frequently. After a minute or so, add the zucchini ribbons. Stir and let warm thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Add about a 1/4 cup of white wine or water, lower the heat, and let steam until slightly softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the pesto and mix thoroughly. Serve warm or at room temperature (you can also prep ahead and reheat just prior to serving).




The Other Sunday Dinner Dishes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment