Monday, February 18, 2013

Sunday Dinners: Costa Rican-style Black Bean Dip

Yes, canned beans are great in a pinch, but oh...there's nothing like the real thing!

Every time I make beans, I remember how much I love them. That luscious earthy flavor, with broth flavorful enough to sip on its own, I say to myself, "wow, THIS is the stuff!"

So this weekend, when I was making Gallo Pinto, I remembered this dip, which I also learned thanks to the Gutiérrez-Vargas family! I've got it in Mambo Mixers, but changed it up a bit. Actually on Friday night I soaked a kilo of black beans (yes, a kilo!); on Sunday, when making the Costa Rican-style rice and beans,  I used about 2 cups less than a pound. Those two cups became the black bean dip (and the rest of the beans are in the freezer!)  
Black Bean Dip with Assorted Chips

The nice thing about this dip is that it's super simple (so if you do have "sudden" guests, this is one you can pull together in a pinch!) and it's a great condiment. For example, you can use it as a tortilla spread before adding fresh tomatoes and cheeseor whatever you'd like! Ah, this would be nice with carnitas, too! It would be great on top of grilled chicken. Hmmmm, I'm going to try that in one of my Cuban sandwich variations. You see? Once you start building, the sky's the limit...

So back to this one, here's my recipe which, as always, can vary depend on what you've got on hand and what you like! 


Costa Rican Refried Black Beans
(Adapted from Mambo Mixers©2005, Arlen Gargagliano) 

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (or to taste)
2 cups black beans, undrained and puréed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan. Sauté the onion, pepper, garlic, jalapeño, and salt for about 5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Cook over a low flame, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with fresh cilantro just before serving. (You can also, as I wrote in Mambo Mixers, add queso fresco on top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment