Monday, February 4, 2013

Sunday Dinners: Southwestern-Style Chicken

I don't know what inspired me to work the Southwestern theme on Sunday, but I had a vision (ahcome on you food enthusiasts; you know EXACTLY what I mean!) of grilled chicken (still on a grilled-food kick!) topped with roasted corn salsa, and, well, I had to create it! Ahone other thing...I had made the salsa for a dinner party on Friday night (served it with chips!) and still had 2 cups left over.

Also, I had the advantage of a grill, but if you don't, oven roasting (at 375-degrees F until cooked through) is just fine!

The results? Good! My dadfor the first time that I can remember asked that I leave him the leftovers so that he and my mom could enjoy it the following day. (He's not a big-on-leftovers kind of guy, unless I reinvent!) That, my friends, is a great measure for my success! And for you non-meat eaters, this salsa is great served on fish, tortillas, and on grains like quinoa.

So this was our Sunday menu:
Southwestern Style Chicken (grilled chicken topped with a roasted corn and black bean salsa)
Pesto Basmati Rice with Whole Toasted Pecans (Recipe to come...maybe on Wednesday!)
Roasted Vegetables (mostly Mexican zucchini, red onions, and assorted peppers)
Green leafy salad with Cucumber and Apple,Topped with an Apple Cider Vinaigrette

Today I'm sharing the chickenand the salsa that blanketed it! 
First, the salsa:


For Grilled Corn and Salsa (makes about 3 cups):

2 ears of grilled corn, or two cups of roasted corn kernels
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 small jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed and finely diced (optional—I didn’t include this for my parents)
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed OR 1 cup cooked black beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped red tomato (I found some sweet cherries!)
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Coarse salt, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Combine all the ingredients (except for the cilantro) in a bowl. Adjust seasoning as desired.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Add the cilantro just before serving. (The salsa will keep—covered and refrigerated—for up to 3 days. 

For the chicken

Serves 6 to 8 

Two packages of boneless/skinless organic chicken thighs 
1/4 cup chimichurri
2 cups of Grilled Corn Salsa (at room temperature) 


Marinate the chicken the chimichurri for at least an hour, and up to 24. 
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (and your oven to 375-degrees F.). Grill the chicken until cooked through, or just about cooked through. Place in a baking pan, and spread the salsa on top (I used two pyrex pie dishes!) and place in the oven, uncovered, for just about ten minutes. Add the cilantro just before serving. 













2 comments:

  1. Arlen, what is your secret ingredient for killer guacamole? I have had a senior moment and I can't rememeber...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah--it's the chipotle! (Purée!) You have the recipe, right?!

    ReplyDelete