Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Midweek food musings: The salad, Part II



  
Strawberry and Fresh Greens Salad
At lunch yesterday,   I just finished eating the salad I made on Sunday (Poor Man’s Salad—I will share it next week, but it’s in Latin Grill--a great summertime-grilling season cookbook--which I co-authored with Chef Rafael Palomino!). That’s one of my top salad  picks for this season—but the one I’m sharing with you here is another favorite: The Strawberry and Fresh Greens Salad. 

It's really the texture that first got me; I love the contrast of the smooth, red leaf lettuce with fresh-sliced hearts of strawberries. And the color? Just so dazzling. And flavor--all you need is some excellent quality virgin olive oil, and a light white balsamic vinegar, some salt and pepper--and the rest is pure magic. This is simple--and sizzling. What more could we ask for in a salad? Last week I added some toasted almonds; I leave that choice up to you! Enjoy!

Strawberry and Fresh Greens Salad

Serves 4 to 6

1 bunch red leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
10 ripe strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced lengthwise
Extra virgin olive oil
White balsamic vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup toasted almonds, optional (I toast raw almonds for about 7 minutes at 375°F)

Combine the lettuce and strawberries in your salad bowl. Just before serving, add olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and top with toasted almonds. You can also plate the salad, and then add the almonds, if desired.






Christine's Version of the Strawberry Salad

2 comments:

  1. I love salads and cooking with white balsamic vinegar -- yum. Thanks for adding the strawberries. I picked up a case of strawberries from costco, I guess we are having more than fruit salad this week -- I'm adding in the greens too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darcie,
    Sure! Please send your pictures when you make it! Check out Christine's version--just added it. You can see she used mixed baby greens...gorgeous, no? OK--waiting for your picture!

    ReplyDelete