Friday, April 20, 2012

Sumptuous Sips: Planter's Punch


Sometimes you want something rum-ish: rum-based, tropical, kind of dreamy…Planter's Punch can fit that bill.

Recently I have had the opportunity to sample Alvin's punch--(that would be Alvin of Alvin and friends--whom I wrote about last month!) and wow, that is magical stuff...and honestly, it would be my first choice. However, sometimes I can't get out, and since Alvin's recipe is top top secret, I have to recreate my own! Honestly, everyone has their own interpretation. This is a variation on one I published in Calypso Coolers. Of course you can vary it according to your taste and liking, but this one can satisfy your need-for-the-tropics craving... ¡Salud! Happy weekend! (And ooh--for more sumptuous sips, great fiesta recipes, and a fun night out of cooking, cavorting and more, join me on April 26th at Don Coqui's where you'll be making a lovely array of springtime, Latin-infused tapas!) 


Serves 2
From Calypso Coolers, Arlen Gargagliano © 2006,
Stewart, Tabori & Chang
Photograph by Ellie Miller  
Serves 2 

Ice cubes
4 ounces dark rum (I’m a big Meyers fan…but Mount Gay is nice with this one!)
5 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
1 ounce fresh lime juice
2 dashes grenadine
superfine sugar, to taste
club soda
Cherries (for garnish)

In a shaker filled with ice, combine the rum, the juice, and the grenadine. Shake briskly. Pour without straining into two glasses. Top with club soda, garnish with the cherries and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment