Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Midweek Food Musings: The Beauty of the Winter Salad, Part 1


Salads have been the object of my culinary affection for quite some time. Who can resist, after  all, the opportunity to play with all kinds of greens, different textures and flavors, and different toppings? Wintertime presents a different kind of challenge as far as what to incorporate into the mix. If you're like me, you look to your salad to bring back that summertime sparkle. The great news is that well, my friends, it's right in front of us. 
As you’ve heard me say (write!) before, it’s all about the balance of flavors, textures, and colors. With so many wonderful winter fruits around, combining these different elements is a joy.  Last Sunday’s salad was no exception.
At once sweet and spicy, tender and crunchy, Bosc pears  are a welcome addition to salad. I paired them with clementines (also around!), so baby mesclun, dill, some romaine, and some chicory. Topped all with a light olive oil and pear balsamic vinaigrette. The flavors all worked together nicely…
I'm still playing with my foodalwaysand will continue to share my wintertime salad creations. Would love to hear your ideas, too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment