Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Midweek Food Musings: Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Onions--atop Red Quinoa

Well, looks like I'm STILL in my roasting phase (this one, my friends, may be permanent!).

Mushrooms are a special treat for me. My husband is not a fan at all, and I'm a big fan, so if I'm preparing something for others (and he's not around!), I'll make 'em. Now, I've got a lot to learn in the mushroom department...but I do know what I like. And I love portobellos.
Before roasting! 
After roasting! 
The beauty of the portobello, and many of their brethren, is that with just a bit of olive oil and salt, they're just fabulous. So, for this meal, I know I wanted to have a red quinoa bed (by the way, quinoa offers the perfect backdrop for MANY roast vegetable dishes!), topped with portobellos. Also, I had a gorgeous assortment of baby heirlooms to play with...and I always have red onions and garlic. Hence, this combo emerged!

I served this atop  red quinoa, and with a salad of baby arugula (love the peppery flavors of that leaf!), clementines, black olives, toasted pine nuts, and an orange vinaigrette. Nice combo...even for meat lovers looking for a break! Also, the next day, this mushroom combo is perfect atop lettuce for a lunch salad.

Serves about 4

8 portobello mushroom caps (about 5 inches in diameter), cut into 1/4-inch slices (see pics!)
1 package (about a pound) of heirloom or your favorite cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
Olive oil
Coarse salt
Fresh cilantro (or basil, or flat parsley!) leaves to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the ingredients in a lightly oiled baking pan.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until cooked to your desired doneness! Serve on top of your favorite grain.  (I put this atop 1 1/2 cups cooked red quinoa!)


No comments:

Post a Comment