Monday, April 8, 2013

Sunday Dinners: Shrimp with Roasted Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions and Mango Salsa


If you're a shrimp fan, and you like roasted tomatoes, peppers, and onions, and think you might like them combined with a bit of sweet (in the form of mango), then this dish is for you! I have to add that my father-in-law, who's not a big anything-from-the-ocean fan at all, told me that this was, "an exceptional" dinner. I served it with a leafy green apple and clementine-topped salad, and a rice dish that I'll share on Wednesday!
And there you have it!

Okay, so let me give you some background. I was, thanks to the sun and warmish weather, in the mood for something a bit summery. I was also craving shrimp. I had made a roasted tomato, pepper, onion and mango salsa...so I decided to put the two together. My friends, it worked well!

I'm going to tell you what I did with the shrimp and the salsa, but let you "play" with the salsa ingredients on your own (of course I'm available for questions!). For the salsa, basically I had roasted the tomatoes and peppers (red and green), and some red onions before, had some fresh mango on hand, and  added just a little bit of fresh jalapeño (not too much because my parents and my father-in-law are not big fans). I added a bit of olive oil.

As far as the shrimp, I had two pounds of Argentine peeled and deveined large shrimp, thanks to Trader Joe's, in my freezer. I had the salsa, as I mentioned, made...but added some more sautéed onion and fresh cilantro to the mix.

Shrimp with Roasted Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions and Mango Salsa

Serves 10 to 12

Olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 pounds peeled and deveined medium or large shrimp (fresh or frozen and thawed)
White wine
Juice from half a lemon
1 quart roasted tomato (or your favorite!) salsa
Fresh cilantro

Heat some oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook for several minutes, stirring frequently so that they're evenly cooked. Add a splash or two of white wine, and the lemon juice. Cook JUST until the shrimp is done (you don't want to over cook it).

Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the salsa.

Once the shrimp is cooked, add the salsa to the shrimp and stir to blend. Top with cilantro just before serving.

2 comments:

  1. All ingredients I LOVE in one dish. I can actually taste the flavors. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks, Patrice--and let me know how you custom-design it! I had a few shrimp (like three!) yesterday, and toasted them in a tortilla...still really good!

    ReplyDelete