Monday, April 15, 2013

Sunday Dinners: Roasted Tomato, Onion, Pepper--and Sausage--Sauce + Pasta

Note:
I wrote this blog post on Monday morning...hours before the bombs exploded, and we had news of the tragic incident that rattled us all. "Now is the time," I say--and I'm quoting Dr. King--for us to remember so many things that are positive and strong in this world. My faith in peace, and in people, continues. Today, still raw from sad and disturbing events in the world, I have decided to share this. Please join me in thinking about the comfort we all need, now and always. Peace.

***************
It's ironic: it was so warm this week (though not as warm yesterday) yet I was still craving the aromas of roasting vegetables. I was also looking for something I could work on while I was working...on the computer. I roasted the peppers with some chopped onion in a pan with some olive oil at 400-degrees for about 45 minutes, and did the same with the tomatoes (I cut them in half before roasting) with more onions After combining all, I was short tomatoes, so I added a large can of diced tomatoes.

We served this sauce atop small penne pasta (used 1 box for 10 servings), along with a salad of baby arugula, mixed greens, clementines, cucumbers and capers topped with toasted cashew pieces, and a light orange vinaigrette, and some garlic roasted broccoli rabe.

The crowd  was happy!



Roasted Tomato, Onion, Pepper and Sausage Sauce
(with artichokes, basil, and toasted pine nuts!)

Serves 10 to 12

2 pounds homemade sausage (I used parsley and cheese, and fennel)
3 red onions
12-16 medium size tomatoes (I used the larger-than-cherry size), halved
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 roasted red peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
1 (large) jar marinated artichokes
1 large can diced tomatoes
Basil
Toasted pine nuts

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a pan with olive oil, and place the sausage, with 1 to 2 diced onions and some garlic in the pan. In a separate pan also lightly greased with olive oil, add a layer of tomatoes, onions, and some garlic. Roast both until done; the sausage should be browned, the tomatoes lightly caramelized and soft, about 45 minutes.

When the sausage is cooked, cut it into bite size pieces. Combine it with the tomatoes in a stock pot. Add the roasted red peppers, artichokes, and diced tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes. Just before serving, add basil leaves and pine nuts (I also kept some aside to add as I was plating).

Mix in with the pasta, and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment